Friday, March 14, 2008

Movie Night @ Lala's School

Have I mentioned how much I love Lala's school. It seems like every time I turn around something new is always starting up & I fall in love with the idea & the school more & more. With all the new ideas that everyone is bringing to better the school it's becoming a wonderful community/family.

Tonight her school hosted it's first family movie night, this will now be a monthly event due to this evening's turnout. We saw The Bee Movie, it about recent college grad Barry B. Benson, a worker bee stuck in a dead-end job making honey who files a lawsuit against humans when he learns they've been stealing the bees' nectar for centuries. Tickets were only $1.00 & Lala was kind enough to pay for our tickets with her weekly allowance & give a donation for her dinner.
Everything was so organized, from the coordination, food preparation, movie set-up & starting on time. Their was a spread of food-spanish rice, baked chicken, & salad {all that was asked was a donation} while the chips, popcorn, cookies, juice {no sugar added kind}, & water were for sale. They made sure that all the kids & parents had time to enjoy their dinner, go to the restroom & buy some snacks before the movie started @ 5:30 pm.

Once the movie ended, the principal came out & thanked everyone for coming as well as making a few announcements to the parents & students. She also reminded parents to lookout for the monthly newsletter that the kids will be taking home soon. And that movie night will be a monthly thing @ the school. Also, teachers & PTA members were taking pictures of everyone that attended Movie Night so that they can post up around the building for everyone to see.

FYI: I sat by myself because Lala wanted to sit with her friends & of course I didn't want to cramp her style. I'm fine with it because I know @ her age, I wouldn't want my mother sitting with me & friends especially since their parents weren't sitting with them. Besides, one of her TA's was sitting behind them.
___________________________________________________________________

This week was report cards & Parent Teacher Conference, Lala was not trying to have me talk to her teachers. She was so scared because she said that she had failed her math tests & knows that she didn't do well on her report card. All that nervouses was for nothing because she ended up getting good grades & her reading level is increasing. The only problem is the math & I can understand that she's not getting. Lord knows math is not my specialty so I am not going to punish her if I know that she is @ least trying. Her teachers & I have spoke about this & they giving her more tutoring in math. Also I have contact Sylvan Learning Center to schedule an assessment test for her so that she can get all the help she needs in math. Rather do it now because she will need all the help in math due to the exam they give 3rd graders. If she doesn't pass that test, she will have to repeat the 3rd grade. Can't have that happen now can I..

1 comentarios:

missymey said...

isn't it great when a community builds around a school? it makes it so much better--everyone feels that there is value to it and each person contributes to it.

maybe an nyu tutor may help if sylvan doesn't. i know you have the nyu hook up!